Sunday, December 5, 2010

Whether You Are The Sender Or Receiver, It's All About The Information


Image : http://www.flickr.com


When asked a question, it is very important that the sender of the message and the receiver of the message understand each other. This is the basic model of communication.

In addition to that, the receiver of the information must trust that all of the information necessary and requested has been provided by the sender.

Now, you ask, what the heck has this got to do with anything?

On a very recent trip I was the receiver and did not receive all of the information necessary.

Because of that, I ended up having a vehicle impounded by the transit authority. (a very fun experience I can assure you)

The story goes like this. I had called ahead to the front desk of the hotel I was staying in, and because I knew that parking was very difficult, during this pre-trip prep call I specifically asked about the parking. I was assured that I would be able to park.

Flash ahead one week, I arrive at my hotel, ask about the parking again and was told "you can park anywhere you like on that street."

Cool. No problem. I park, check in, and because I had a long day previously, decide to crank the ac and take a quick nap.

2 hours later, I walk out of the hotel, and much to my surprise, my car is gone. I immediately go back to the front desk. Same two guys.

Me "My car is gone."

Front desk guy. "Where did you park it?"

Me "Right along the street where you told me it was ok to park."

Fdg "Was there a sign, you know, way up the lamp pole or anything like that?"

Me "I didn't look. You guys said I could park anywhere along that street."

Fdg "Yeah, except for the sign."

Yep. There was a sign. Funny how the front desk guys knew exactly where the sign was. And they knew where I had to go to get my car. They were even kind enough to print out a piece of paper with a map and directions. Even told me where to go to get a taxi.

Here is the moral of the story.

If you are providing information to your Customers, provide ALL the information. Don't assume. Don't think for them. Your job is to give them everything they need to MAKE A DECISION! Give them more information than they need.

As I was checking out of the hotel, and talking with the same two guys from the previous day, I reminded them that some people were not from "around here." And that they need to tell everyone checking in with a car that parking "anywhere along that street" was not really a good answer. They needed to be more specific.

One guy got up and walked away as I was talking, the other guy blamed me.

I don't think that I will be staying there again anytime soon.




Leonard Buchholz is a Certified Trainer, Speaker and Author. If you are looking for a seminar leader that is "High Touch and Low Tech," look no further. Leonard is known for energetic seminars that involve the participants. Seminar subjects include Customer Service, Difficult People and Difficult Situations, Management and Communications. Reach him at leonard@bizprotraining.com or call 760-529-5635.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Feedbase